As a Retail Manager in the whisky industry, you will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations of a whisky retail store or outlet, including sales, staff, stock and resource management, ensuring that the business is profitable, and delivering an excellent customer experience.
You will deliver long term sales and profitability through effective management and customer service within retail whilst delivering the best possible shopping experience for customers.
The role involves working on the shop floor, being in constant contact with customers and the retail team. You will ensure staff give great customer service and monitor the financial performance of the store. Typically, the role reports to an Area Manager.
Main duties and responsibilities
Key responsibilities include:
- Recruiting, training, supervising and appraising staff. Ensuring that employees are motivated and engaged and that they have the skills and knowledge needed to perform their jobs effectively.
- Identify customer needs and setting up methods to assess and improve customer service continuously.
- Developing and implementing sales and marketing budgets and strategies that increase sales and profits. This could include developing promotional campaigns, negotiating with suppliers, and managing the store’s inventory.
- Maintaining statistical and financial records.
- Oversee the daily management of the retail operation including rotas, training, internal communications and cash management.
- Ensuring that customers receive a high level of service, by handling customer queries and complaints, ensuring that products are displayed and marketed correctly, and managing the retail team.
- Overseeing pricing and stock control.
- Managing the store's finances, including budgeting, forecasting, and managing the cash flow. You will also ensure that the store is operating efficiently and that costs are kept under control.
- Ensuring staff adhere to Health and Safety policies.
- Ensuring that the store is complying with all relevant regulations and legislation, including health and safety, data protection, and employment law.
In summary, a Retail Manager in the Whisky Industry is responsible for managing the daily operations of a whisky retail store, ensuring that it is profitable, and delivering a high level of customer service. The role requires strong sales and marketing skills, financial acumen, and excellent communication and leadership skills.
Skills and experience
To become a Retail Manager you will need to demonstrate previous management experience in a specialist retail environment, or past experience at whisky distillery visitor centres, or in other specialist drinks retail. Employers will be looking for:
- Previous experience in a retail management role, ideally within the whisky industry. You will need to demonstrate a track record of successful sales and marketing strategies, staff management, and financial management.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both verbal and written) and influencing skills combining diplomacy with the ability to manage and motivate staff to have excellent customer skills.
- Drive and energy with the ability to lead a team and to motivate and engage staff. You will need be able to set goals, delegate tasks, and provide feedback to your team.
- A strong understanding of sales and marketing principles, with the ability to develop and implement effective sales strategies. This will involve analysing market trends and customer behaviour to make informed decisions.
- Strong financial acumen, with the ability to manage budgets, understand financial reports, and control costs. The ability to analyse sales figures and forecast future sales.
- Strong computer literacy with the ability to use EPOS systems and use information technology to record sales figures, analyse data and forward plan.
- Maintain awareness of market trends in the retail industry, understanding forthcoming customer initiatives and monitoring what competitors are doing
- The ability to identify and solve problems quickly and effectively. You will need to be able to think creatively and come up with innovative solutions to complex issues.
- A passion for the whisky industry and an in-depth knowledge of the products sold. You will need to be able to educate and engage customers about the products and the history of the industry.
Overall, a successful Retail Manager in the UK whisky industry should have a combination of experience, skills, and knowledge that will enable them to effectively manage the daily operations of a whisky retail store, drive sales and profitability, and deliver an exceptional customer experience.
Qualifications and skills required for the role of Retail Manager in the UK whisky industry may include:
- Previous experience in a retail management role, ideally in the whisky industry.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships with customers and staff.
- Strong sales and marketing skills, with the ability to develop and implement effective sales strategies.
- Financial acumen, with the ability to manage budgets and understand financial reports.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to motivate and engage staff.
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- A passion for the whisky industry and an in-depth knowledge of the products sold.