As a Planning Co-ordinator in the Scotch Whisky industry, you will assist on the purchase of materials and services and liaise with clients, vendors, and various departments within the business such as production, logistics and sales, to ensure that production plans are aligned with customer demand and supply chain capabilities.
Planning coordinators ensure that purchase orders have the correct price, freight charge, and delivery date and coordinate with quality assurance (QA) inspectors to ensure the quality of the purchased parts and services.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate with production teams to develop and maintain production plans based on customer demand, capacity, and inventory levels.
- Monitoring the company’s inventory levels to identify potential shortages or excesses that may impact production schedules. Recommending changes to the way the company handles inventory where applicable.
- Liaise with logistics and sales teams to ensure that customer orders are fulfilled in a timely and accurate manner.
- Analyse production data, demand planning, inventory reports and other data to identify areas for improvement in production processes and suggest solutions to increase efficiency and reduce waste. Anticipating factors that might influence demand, such as seasonal slowdowns or upcoming promotions.
- Managing the storage of inventory and materials, maintaining enough inventory to meet demands without overstocking. Reconcile purchase order discrepancies, good receipts & invoice receipts.
- Coordinate transportation needs for delivery of raw materials and/or finished goods.
- Collaborate with operations, production, and other supply chain department team members and with suppliers and vendors to ensure that raw materials and other inputs are available on time and in the required quantities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement new production initiatives, cost improvement programmes, alternative materials, innovation and improve existing processes.
- Develop, maintain, and continually monitor production schedules, timelines, and milestones to ensure that production plans are executed on time, within budget and to agreed KPIs. Track critical projects status both before and after production start dates and define action plans to improve them.
- Monitor daily receipts of materials, verify quality condition, amount of receipt, and timely delivery.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Exercise excellent customer service, production planning, purchasing, logistics and inventory management techniques.
- Timely response to and resolve customer and field complaints, including root cause analysis and implementation of effective corrective actions.
As a Planning Co-ordinator you will typically work in an office environment and may be required to work flexible hours to accommodate production schedules. Some travel may be required to visit production facilities, suppliers, and customers.
A Planning Co-ordinator role provides a foundation for career progression within the Scotch Whisky industry. With experience and demonstrated success, the Planning Co-ordinator may progress to roles such as Production Manager, Supply Chain Manager, or Operations Manager.
Skills and experience
To be successful as a Planning Co-ordinator in the Scotch Whisky industry, the following skills and experience are typically required:
- Strong understanding of the supply chain process.
- Proficiency in production planning software and Microsoft Office to create and manage production schedules and reports.
- Experience in managing relationships with suppliers and vendors to ensure that raw materials and other inputs are available on time and in the required quantities.
- Excellent organisational skills, customer service skills, attention to detail, and time-management skills.
- Experience in developing and maintaining production schedules, timelines, and milestones to ensure that production plans are executed on time and within budget.
- Ability to multitask and manage priorities of multiple ongoing projects/orders/accounts.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with vendors, suppliers, customers, and other supply chain team members.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to develop and maintain production plans, identify potential issues, and propose solutions.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve common goals.
- Understanding of health and safety regulations and compliance requirements to ensure a safe and secure working environment.
- Knowledge of the Scotch Whisky industry and production processes to understand the complexities of the industry and its unique challenges.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in production planning or related field, preferably within the food and beverage or manufacturing industry.
- Bachelor's degree in business, supply chain management, or related field.
- APICS Certification would be an advantage.
- eExperience with software such as SAP, Oracle, SharePoint, Order Servicing, Production Planning, MSProject, Inventory Management, Business Intelligence, or OTM.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and production planning software.
- Understanding of health and safety regulations and compliance requirements.